Follow by Email

Monday, May 21, 2012

rOtring 600 mechanical pencil





Ever since I found out about Rotring I have become obsessed. I have done a lot of research before spending $40 on this pencil. Rotring is a company based in Germany that specializes in art and technical drawing. Rotring translates from German to English, meaning "red ring", this obviously comes from the red ring around the top of the pens and pencil. Sadly they were bought out by Newell Rubbermaid/Sanford in 1998. Shortly after they were bought out they discontinued the knurled grip version of the 600 and produced a smoothed grip style. Maybe the knurling was too rough for the folks at Sanford? Shortly after they discontinued this series completely, prices have gone up double to triple in price. It doesn't help that Rotring decided to stop exporting to the U.S. market all together. Rotring decided they wanted to focus on artist style pens and pencils. This stuff usually seems to happen a lot when a huge corporation decides to buy out a smaller scale company. Today the Rotring 600 "old style" is a highly sought after technical writing instrument. It really blows my mind that they wouldn't re introduce this series as it's evident they are very popular, at least judging by the money some people are willing to dish out for old stock.

The Rotring 600 is a hexagonal brass pencil with a heavy but well balanced feel to it. As soon as you pick it up you can tell it is a serious tool for engineers and architects. It weighs in at 18 grams and the dimensions are 143 mm x 9 mm and comes in .3 .5 .7 and very rarely you will find one in .9 It comes in silver or a what seems to be a powder coated black finish.
They also make a clutch style in 2mm but I have yet to pick one up. It takes about 2 clicks to get a usable amount of lead out of the tip, which seems perfect for me, too much would probably break, too little would be too many clicks for me. Some fear the heavy weight would be too much for a .5 lead thickness, I havent had any problems with lead snapping off yet. At the top of the pen there is a  knurled rotating lead indicator to remind you of which lead grade you have in the pencil, HB which would be the most common lead faces on the side where the red size indicator is printed on the barrel. There are 7 grades total ranging from 4H to 2B. Under the cap is a standard small replaceable eraser, great for little mistakes but would be worn fast with heavy use. The only concerns I seen people talk about is the tip, you would have to be careful not to drop it or it will most likely break or bend due to the heavily weighted brass body, there are also some concerns about the tip poking holes in your pocket pants. The hexagon body definitely would help the pencil from rolling off an inclined drawing table. If you happen to bend the tip, jetpens.com offers replacement tips with the the whole knurled bottom half for a price of under 12 dollars, not too bad considering the alternative of throwing the pencil out.

 I can tell you I havent found a better pencil in my life, I have looked far and wide, this pencil is truely a cult classic, it's a shame it's not more common. The best part about this pencil is that it is still being produced today in Japan, sadly the ball points and fountain pens wont be returning. The Japanese version can be bought on ebay or jet pens for a fair non inflated price, I picked mine up for under 40 bucks shipped and took about a month to arrive. In the box the pencil comes with a pamphlet with info in Japanese writing, seems pretty useless but neat to look at. You will not find any new stock in stores outside of Japan, as it is a Japanese market only product.

I tend to prefer German machining but the Japanese made pencil seems to have a much coarse diamond pointed knurling compared to my German made pen. Other than that they seem to be very comparable.

Overall this is my favorite pencil and one of my prized possessions, i just wish I could use it more. For the price I really can't see there being a better option and would make a perfect gift for someone in the engineering field. They are cheap enough to were I wouldn't be upset if I lost it, compared to the 100+ dollar pen. There is also an all plastic version going for 20 bucks, Rotring 500, which is an option if you prefer a lighter pencil or want a cheaper alternative.



Hope you enjoy my first post, please subscribe or leave a comment/suggestion. I'll have more reviews on more pens, pencils, inks, papers and various other buy it for life products.

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful first post!

    Would you know by any chance where you purchased this? I would love to order this online for a present!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for the comment, how did you come across here? I ordered mine from a ebay seller in Japan but you can order from here http://www.jetpens.com/Rotring-600-Drafting-Pencil-0.5-mm-Black-Body/pd/6435?gclid=CKWX7feOlbACFYje4AodNm0p0w

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got this link from Reddit, more so r/BuyItForLife

      Delete
  3. My husband sent me your reddit link, he knows I'm a pen/pencil nut. I have a Rotring multipen (black, blue, red, and .5mm mechanical pencil) that I have had for years and just love. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the comment, any info on your pencil? what kind of box did it come in? my ballpoint pen finish is started to wear off from carrying it in my pocket so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. also stay tuned ill be reviewing a few more pens and pencils in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ӏ was recοmmеnded this wеb
    ѕite by mу cousin. Ι'm not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my problem. You are amazing! Thanks!
    Here is my homepage ... leave page

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've attempted for that past 35 quite a few years to get rid of and Maintain OFF my stomach fat. I've tried every
    one of the items from food plan plan capsules, personalized
    trainers, just about each and every meals system ever
    proposed, I now devote on two gymnasium memberships, at any
    provided time, and have not had the time for you to take advantage of the advantages of each amongst them in in excess of a year.
    I have to say that only level that assisted me safe weight loss per week hoping
    the surroundings, ease in addition to availability to the amenities staying opened from five:00a.
    m till 10:00pm would motivate me to continue to be on program, attend a lot on the cardio lessons, aquatics courses, stage lessons
    etc…

    Here is my web site - best weight loss secrets

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are able tο't apply online, you may have to visit an office near you Theyalso�provide�you�24x7�support�using�which�you�can�get�help�from�us�whenever�you�need

    Here is my web page tao Of Badass

    ReplyDelete
  9. Red-Haiгed Сhіld: Numerous subjеct
    areas thгough throughout the world tend tο be геviеwed as wеll
    liκе a myrіad of viеws turn οut іn thе ԁiѕсusѕion

    Heгe is my website :: http://youdate.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite is carrot, apple and ginger.
    If you have done any research concerning the breville juice fountain elite 800jexl, it is likely you found out that it's one of the most sold juicers available. One of my favorite things about it is that the pitcher that comes with it has a spout to prevent spraying, that was really aggravating with my previous juicers.

    Have a look at my site; http://community.thepoethouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. ' Order your cake at least 6-8 weeks ahead of time. Find the various decorations for the cake. Generally speaking you will need the following ingredients:.

    my blog post www.cakedecoratingtrends.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Though this may perhaps not sound that great, it need to support
    to close in the space and as a result give the really feel of a snug, cosy and
    intimate bedroom. Silk and velvet Throw pillows are completely perfect as soft ornament inside
    the bedroom and for ornamental purposes also. Lighting:
    The way a space is lit up also assists transform the look
    from the space to a higher extent and with regards to youngsters room it plays a essential function.


    Here is my webpage ... play free girls room decor games

    ReplyDelete